A blog where students from Butler University participating in short-term study abroad to Israel can post about their readings prior to travel, as well as share photos and thoughts during the trip.
Monday, May 19, 2014
Jordan River
We went to the traditional site connected with the baptism of Jesus, Qasr al-Yahud, also said to be the site where the Israelites crosses the Jordan.
When we first condensed the Dead Sea portion of the trip down to one day, I was disappointed that we cut out the trip to the Jordan, so when we had some free time on the last day, I lobbied hard to make sure that we made it back there. It was interesting that at this site one could note the intersection of the religious significance of the site, the political tensions between Jordan and Israel, and the environmental impact of Israel's rapid development
There were several religious groups performing baptisms while we were there, and despite the repeated warnings of Baligh about the quality of the water, I dunked my head in in order to give myself a makeshift baptism, which in a way felt like the perfect way to end the trip.
Entering the area we saw a variety of barbed wire fences surrounding minefields, a grim reminder that until recently, political conflict with neighboring Jordan prevented anyone from visiting the site.
But the most surprising thing I noticed was how small the river had become. Construction of a dam at the Sea of Galilee reduced the river to a mere creek, only about 10 feet or so wide. If it would not have provoked the armed Jordanian guard on the other side, I could have probably jumped across it. I understand that construction of the damn was necessary to ensure Israel has a reliable supply of fresh water, but it makes me wonder, if the climate of the area continues to get drier and drier, will the Jordan River and the Dead Sea eventually disappear?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen we first condensed the Dead Sea portion of the trip down to one day, I was disappointed that we cut out the trip to the Jordan, so when we had some free time on the last day, I lobbied hard to make sure that we made it back there. It was interesting that at this site one could note the intersection of the religious significance of the site, the political tensions between Jordan and Israel, and the environmental impact of Israel's rapid development
ReplyDeleteThere were several religious groups performing baptisms while we were there, and despite the repeated warnings of Baligh about the quality of the water, I dunked my head in in order to give myself a makeshift baptism, which in a way felt like the perfect way to end the trip.
Entering the area we saw a variety of barbed wire fences surrounding minefields, a grim reminder that until recently, political conflict with neighboring Jordan prevented anyone from visiting the site.
But the most surprising thing I noticed was how small the river had become. Construction of a dam at the Sea of Galilee reduced the river to a mere creek, only about 10 feet or so wide. If it would not have provoked the armed Jordanian guard on the other side, I could have probably jumped across it. I understand that construction of the damn was necessary to ensure Israel has a reliable supply of fresh water, but it makes me wonder, if the climate of the area continues to get drier and drier, will the Jordan River and the Dead Sea eventually disappear?