Sunday, May 29, 2016

My Reflection of "Israeli and Palestinian Narratives of Conflict : History's Double Helix," by Robert Rotberg

                One primary reason why I am so interested in traveling to Israel-Palestine is because of how much time I have spent studying the conflict in this region through my majors. As an outsider, I have struggled to fully understand all of the roots of the conflict, as well as which party I personally leans towards more. I have also found it difficult to think about how the conflict might be solved justly and peacefully in the future. I think the book Israeli and Palestinian Narratives of Conflict: History's Double Helix, by Robert Rotberg, has helped me to organize at least some of my thoughts on this matter, and it has most definitely prepared my mind to use this trip as an opportunity to analyze the Israeli – Palestinian conflict from a much more critical yet empathetic lens.
                Rotberg starts off by placing emphasis on the power and influence of history, as well as personal experience and perspective, in discerning between truth and opinion. This definitely relates back to finding the roots of the conflict; the amount of history – religious, political, and otherwise – that must be taken into account for both Israelis and Palestinians is astronomical. Another point that Rotberg seemed to be trying to make is that both peoples have created their truth claims based on all of this history and the sense of self-identity and even nationalism that they have developed over the centuries; as a result, it is not so easy to simply trust one side or the other when they argue about who “owns” the most rights to this piece of land.
                One thing that is interesting about this book is that Rotberg does not do all the explaining/arguing; instead he has compiled works from a variety of authors from several varying perspectives in order to explain the overall conflict. I personally enjoyed this because while there was factual information given, certain biases were also highly evident in some cases, which helps demonstrate to an outsider like me how colorful and complex the whole situation is. After these introductory chapters, Rotberg evenly broke the different works up by showing the Israeli viewpoint on the situation followed by the Palestinian viewpoint. Perhaps more importantly, he also dedicates chapters to how exactly both sides have acted and reacted in this conflict, where the reader can see both positive and negative aspects. For me, this is another area where the conflict gets extremely complicated; while in some instances they may have been justified in their actions, (i.e. for the sake of defense) both sides are also guilty of actions that were reckless, violent, unjust, and/or simply unnecessary. Some similarities that I noticed between the two sides’ arguments are perceptions of being victims, concerns somewhat bordering paranoia that the other side is a serious security threat, and sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant nationalism.
                While the first parts of the book sound more negative/depressing/confusing, the last handful of chapters offer some hope and possible solutions. These authors place huge emphasis on the power of education. It is noted throughout the book that schools and teachers on both sides have sometimes tried to push highly skewed educations upon their students that completely discredit the other side. However, it has also sometimes been observed that the students themselves seem to desire more perspectives and fairer understanding of the other. The authors seem to see this desire as an opportunity to push for more dialogue between both sides, and I definitely agree because if the upcoming generations who will eventually take on the reins of leadership have already fostered personal relationships of understanding and compassion for the other, the probability of a more peaceful future greatly increases.

                This book was written in 2006; I would love to see Rotberg and the other authors’ viewpoints on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict now. The violence and hatred has seemed to increase greatly, and some of the tactics of the governments of both sides are becoming dangerously extremist. I tend to think it is these governing bodies that are fueling the conflict the most, as they seem to be mostly driven by their own agendas and not the needs or wishes of their peoples. I’m not sure if this trip will give me any kind of epiphany about how this conflict might be solved; however, I will be able to witness at least part of the history and culture that both sides embrace. More importantly, I know I will see equal human beings on both sides who both deserve respect, justice, and reconciliation from past tragedies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment